WATCH OUT : BIXIs ARE EXPENSIVE $$$ !
Since May 2009, the city of Montreal has been offering its new bike service, the « Bixi ».
Since the inception of the « Bixi » service, confusion abounds with respect to its pricing, especially for the touristic clientele.
Many visitors believe, incorrectly, that a « Bixi » rental is a mere 7$ for a 24 hour period.
In fact, the amount of 7$ represents the access fee to the « Bixi » network since visitors aren't members of « Bixi ».
The following usage fees are in addition to the 7$ fee:
- 0-30 minutes : free
- 31-60 minutes : 1.75$
- 61-90 minutes : 3.50$
- EACH additionnal 30-minute period : 7.00$
Some examples of the costs of renting a « Bixi » :
- For 30 minutes : 7.00$
- For 60 minutes : 8.75$
- For 90 minutes : 12.25$
- For 2 hrs : 19.25$
- For 3 hrs : 33.25$
- For ½ day ( 4hrs) : 47.25$
- For 1 day ( 8hrs) : 103.25$
( Price per bike / continuous usage).
In order to differentiate this service from the various services offered by Montreal On Wheels, here is some useful information:
• Bixi Service •
- « Bixi » is just as expensive as a taxi service and is designed for very short transfers (30 minutes or less) and not for bike riding
- A « Bixi » bike is a heavy bike equipped with 3 speeds only.
- « Bixi » isn't designed for kids
- No helmets are supplied
- Security deposits of 250$ per bike are required with a maximum of 2 bikes per credit card
• Montreal On Wheels offers a complete rental service •
- Rental fees much less expensive than « Bixi »
- Light comfort-series 21 or 24-speed hybrid bike with a suspension in the seat post; bikes designed for comfortable riding
- « Cruiser » type bikes starting at 6,50$ per hour;
- Kids' bikes, trailers and trail-a-bikes
- Tandems, road bikes and "touring" bikes
- Refurbished bikes rented at a unbeatable price
- Helmets, locks, our very own detailed map of the bikes trails, repair kits and itinerary advice included